Welcome. The CFH30 is a 30-day nutrition and performance challenge. It is based on principles of the Paleolithic Diet, modern day life, science, and practical experience. This isn’t just a competition; it’s a springboard for incorporating healthy dieting practices into your life and holding yourself accountable.
During the 30 days of this challenge, you are expected to be “strict” and not stray from the guidelines. This means, no grains, no dairy, no sugar…Not only do you need to have some self-discipline to carry through on this endeavor, but it is also an exercise in character. Everything is published to the group, and only you will know if you are being honest.
Judging the Contest.
All three areas below will count for your final score. Qualified Judges (e.g. two CFH coaches and one outsourced judge) will complete judging.
1. Before (Day 1) and After (Day 30) photos
2. Compliance (Journaling to show Adherence)
3. Performance (Journaling to show workouts, note PRs in Journal)
Buy – In. There is more motivation from the fear of losing something, so we have made this competition a little more interesting than the last one. The Buy-In is $100. Don’t Freak Out!! You will get $50 of this back IF you complete the program (meaning journaling your food and participating all 30 days). If you drop out completely, your $$ will be forfeited. Our goal with this is to keep all of you in the game from start to finish!
Do not enter this competition half-heartedly. If you are not going for the prize but still want a little support, please email us and we will add you to the group, and you will still need to support the kitty. If you are not part of the challenge and are asking questions on the blog, you should join the challenge and support the kitty. It is only fair to all the other players.
This contest is for current CFH members only.
What you have to do to achieve optimal success?
1. Register, on MindBody. Pay $100 in Cash by Wednesday, April 24th. REQUIRED.
2. Daily: Journal your food on the preset daily food journals. Only use the supplied food journal. No other entries will be accepted. REQUIRED.
3. Daily: Darken your room. SUGGESTED.
4. Weekly: WOD 3-4+ times/week – journal it using BWTB. SUGGESTED.
5. Get some basic blood work done. This is for your own education. Comprehensive Lipid Panel with inflammatory markers. SUGGESTED.
6. Take some before & after photos. We will be taking pictures at the gym starting April 19th. All pictures will be taken on the same camera (front, side and back photos). Attire is shirtless and shorts for men. Sport Bra and shorts for Women. Try to wear the exact same outfit for your before and after pictures and take them at the same spot in the locker room. REQUIRED.
7. Pick out a Benchmark WOD you recently completed (if you haven’t done one recently, complete one during open gym or part of regular programming and use that as your benchmark) and then complete it again in 30 days. SUGGESTED.
8. Get some sleep. Aim for 8+ hours each night. Extra sleep alone has been responsible for many a pound lost! Sleep Cycle App on the iPhone is great! SUGGESTED.
9. Measure yourself and send your starting/ending measurements (waist, hips, thighs, and arms). This is for your own reference. Another measure would be your jeans size. SUGGESTED.
10. Get support. This won’t be easy and the more people that are with you the better you stand for those that will encourage you to get that late-night pizza or a couple extra beers. SUGGESTED.
11. Share your online journal and favorite recipes/meals with your fellow CFH members on Facebook, SUGGESTED.
12. READ very carefully about Paleo and ask questions beforehand. No peanut butter is not okay. No corn and beans are not okay. Rice equals no bueno…GOT IT! REQUIRED.
13. Ask questions on the nutrition blog that are not answered for the group, SUGGESTED.
14. Get a BodyScan using the InBody 520 at CFH. Accurately reports your percent body fat. Discounted to $25 for Challenge Participants for each scan. STRONGLY SUGGESTED.
What do you get?
1. Hopefully a hot bod, more energy and better WOD times!
2. Female/Male Top Prize is 70%% of all contributed money
3. Female/Male 2nd Prize is 30% of all contributed money
WHAT: A 30 Day strict Paleo regiment to get you in shape for the summer
WHEN: April 22, 2013 (completes two days before Memorial Day Weekend)
WHO: ALL COMERS including those that have never been fully paleo or need some moral support to stick to it!
WHY: Because you will look, feel, and perform better
WHERE: Sign up on MindBody Today
COST: $100 ($50 buy-in and $50 back for completion). Body scans are discounted to $25 for participants for before and after scans to track progress over time.
After reviewing food journals and photos, the winners have been determined for the 2013 CFH45 Winter Paleo Challenge.
- Brandon Doria
- Steve Freidhoff
- Blair Ridder
- Donna DeTomasso
- Katy Percella
- Tania Carpenter
CONGRATS to the Winners. The next Challenge will be in April, a strict 30 day burst to get you to Memorial Day and Summer with a new beach body.
As you know, tomorrow is the last day of the Paleo Challenge. Here is how the challenge will conclude:
- Send your final food log
- Complete your After InBody Scan (Only applicable if you did a before scan)
- Complete your after photos (try to wear the same attire you did for the before photos with the same backdrop, front, both sides, and back)
Final Photos are due by Monday, February 25 (if you are emailed me about travel, then disregard)
Winners will be announced Monday, March 4
Sign up for the Celebration Potluck on Sunday, March 3 at 5pm: Sign Up Here!
It was another great week of recipe sharing, story telling, and all out good Paleo fun. We had a robust discussion on the Facebook site regarding the peer pressure to consume foods that are less than optimal. This includes co-workers and friends that respond negatively to resisting an alcoholic beverage or skipping out on the pastries, bagels, and pizza in the break room at work. All these sacrifices are for a purpose, to demonstrate to each challenge participant what these processed foods do to our bodies and how we can feel optimal without them. That experience alone is worth the price of admission…with the added incentive of putting some cash in your pocket and picking up good habits along the way.
With that said, make sure you email in your Week 5 food logs. You have 10 days left and will not need to submit a Week 6 journal (just send your final journal) after Wednesday, February 20, but before February 25.
You will have until February 27, to complete your after pictures. For your after pictures, try to take them in exactly what you were wearing for your before photos. Also, if you took them in the locker room, then take them there again…as much of the same lighting, room, and clothing will aid in making the comparison shots.
The winners will be announced on March 4.