CFH30 MARCH PALEO CHALLENGE RULES
Welcome. The CFH30 is a 30-day nutrition and performance challenge. It is based on principles of the Paleolithic Diet, modern day life, science, and practical experience. This isn’t just a competition; it’s a springboard for incorporating healthy dieting practices into your life and holding yourself accountable.
During the 30 days of this challenge, you are expected to be “strict” and not stray from the guidelines. This means, no grains, no dairy, no legumes, no sugar, and limited alcohol consumption…Not only do you need to have some self-discipline to carry through on this endeavor, but it is also an exercise in character. Everything is published to the group, and only you will know if you are being honest.
Judging the Contest.
All areas below will count for your final score. Qualified Judges (e.g. two CFH coaches and one outsourced judge) will complete judging.
- Before (Day 1) and After (Day 30) photos (Qualitative)
- Before and After InBody Scans (Quantitative)
- Compliance (Journaling to show Adherence
Buy – In. There is more motivation from the fear of losing something. The Buy-In is $100 (doesn’t include before/after body fat scans, which is $25 for 2). Don’t Freak Out!! You will get $50 of this back IF you complete the program (meaning journaling your food and participating all 30 days). If you drop out completely, your $$ will be forfeited. Our goal with this is to keep all of you in the game from start to finish! In addition, to the buy-in we are requiring an InBody before and after scan that is discounted to $25 for Paleo Challenge Participants.
Check List before March 5th
- Sign up for the Challenge on MindBody
- Pick an info session to attend (not required)
- Find me on Facebook to be added to the Facebook group (all material will be uploaded to this page)
- Go shopping and stock your pantry with Paleo goodness
- Relax and eat well.
Do not enter this competition half-heartedly. If you are not going for the prize but still want a little support, please email us and we will add you to the group, and you will still need to support the kitty. If you are not part of the challenge and are asking questions on the blog, you should join the challenge and support the kitty. It is only fair to all the other players.
This contest is for current CFH members only.
What you have to do to achieve optimal success?
1. Register, on MindBody. Pay $100 in Cash by March 5, 2014. Even if you don’t plan to attend the info session this is how you sign up. REQUIRED.
2. Daily: Journal your food on the preset daily food journals. Only use the supplied food journal. No other entries will be accepted. REQUIRED.
3. Daily: Darken your bedroom. Do not watch TV, look at your iPhone/iPad, or do anything other than sleep in your bedroom… SUGGESTED.
4. Weekly: WOD 3-4+ times/week – journal it using BWTB. You are working on your diet now, but make sure you stay ACTIVE. When you aren’t scheduled to work out go for a walk, take a Yoga class…do something! SUGGESTED.
5. Get some basic blood work done. This is for your own education. Comprehensive Lipid Panel with inflammatory markers. If you haven’t had your annual physical schedule it and get your blood work done. SUGGESTED.
6. Take some before & after photos. We will be taking pictures at the gym starting January 2. All pictures will be taken on the same camera (front, side and back photos). Attire is shirtless and shorts for men. Sport Bra and shorts for Women. Try to wear the exact same outfit for your before and after pictures and take them at the same spot in the locker room. REQUIRED.
7. Get an InBody Body Fat Scan. I can’t tell you how many people were unaware of their physical changes only to have it validated by a reduction in overall body fat percentage. Separate charge from the buy-in. REQUIRED.
8. Pick out a Benchmark WOD you recently completed (if you haven’t done one recently, complete one during open gym or part of regular programming and use that as your benchmark) and then complete it again in 30 days. SUGGESTED.
9. Get some sleep. Aim for 8+ hours each night. Extra sleep alone has been responsible for many a pound lost! Sleep Cycle App on the iPhone is great! SUGGESTED.
10. Measure your self and send your starting/ending measurements (waist, hips, thighs, and arms). This is for your own reference. Another measure would be your jeans size. SUGGESTED.
11. Get support. This won’t be easy and the more people that are with you the better you stand for those that will encourage you to get that late-night pizza or a couple extra beers. SUGGESTED.
12. Share your online journal and favorite recipes/meals with your fellow CFH members on Facebook, SUGGESTED.
13. READ very carefully about Paleo and ask questions beforehand. No peanut butter is not okay. No corn and beans are not okay. Rice equals no bueno…GOT IT! REQUIRED.
14. Ask questions on the nutrition blog that are not answered for the group, SUGGESTED.
What do you get?
1. Hopefully a hot bod, more energy and better WOD times!
2. Female/Male Top Prize is 70%% of all contributed money
3. Female/Male 2nd Prize is 30% of all contributed money
WHAT: 30 Day Paleo Challenge
WHEN: March 3, 2014 to April 2, 2014
HOW: SIGN UP HERE for the challenge and one of the 3 info sessions.
WHY: Get your diet optimized during the Open
Did you miss the chance to start your Paleo Journey in January? Well you have another opportunity…All, you have to do is sign up on MindBody for now, and then also sign up for one of 3 different info sessions. Schedule the first 3 days of the challenge to better equip you for success.
We will follow a very similar format to January with judging based on the following:
- Before/After Photos
- Before/After Body Scans
- Compliance with Food Journaling
- 2 lbs Grass Fed Ground Beef
- 3-4 Slices of Thick Sliced Bacon
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 2 Large Red Onions, Chopped (you can set aside some to garnish)
- 1/2 C Dried Poricini Mushrooms
- 1 C Baby Portobella Mushrooms, Chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves Chopped
- 1 28oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 T Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Cup Beef Stock
- 2 T Chili Powder
- 2 T Espresso Coffee
- 2 T Dark Chocolate
- 1 T Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 t Cayenne Pepper (add more if you like it spicy)
- 1 T Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- Start by browning the ground beef and set aside when partially cooked (mostly brown)
- Place Chopped Onions and Olive Oil in large dutch oven and cook until the onions have softened.
- Add the Garlic and Bacon and cook for about 5 minutes
- Add both mushrooms and simmer for about 3 minutes
- Add back the beef and slowly merge the pot
- Add the tomatoes, paste, beef stock, coffee, chocolate and vinegar
- Add the spices and let simmer for 1 hour
- 4 small sweet potatoes (or 2 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 C grade B maple syrup, divided (can omit if being strict Paleo)
- 1/4 C extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 t kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 4 large shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl add the sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix to evenly coat the potatoes and arrange on a sheet tray.
- Roast until caramelized, golden brown and soft, about 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to check them after 15 minutes and stir, if needed.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-low heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the sliced shallots and saute until they start to caramelize, about 5 minutes
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Lower heat to medium and cook until golden brown and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the pan becomes dry.
- Add the roasted sweet potato cubes to the caramelized shallots and transfer to a warm serving dish.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Coat the Lamb Chops with Salt and Pepper and set aside
- In a small bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, garlic, duck fat and rosemary
- Coat the Lamb Chops with wet mixture and marinate for at least 30 minutes
- Heat a cast iron skillet to high heat and with little or no oil
- Grill on each side for 1-2 minutes or until a crust develops
- Finish in the oven until Medium Rare (~130 degrees)