1. Meat or chicken. Order it without sauces, or with sauces on the side.
2. Sides: replace potatoes/rice/beans/pastasetc. with extra veggies. If they won’t do it, ask for no sides.
3. Seafood often comes in creamy sauces, often dairy-based. Order them on the side, or ask for your prepared way of cooking–grilled, seared, or baked.
4. Mexican food is actually really easy. Order the tacos/burrito with the best ingredients. Then MAN UP AND DON’T EAT THE TORTILLA. Even better, order it without the tortilla–they might even give you more filling. At Hula Hut, I order the Tubular Taco without the tortilla and get a HUGE pile of veggies and protein. Add in guacamole and you’re totally set with fat, protein, and good carbs!
5. Italian food got you down? They ALWAYS have a high-quality steak or chicken dish and 1 nicely-done fish on the menu. Think of all the crap you would have put in your body with pasta, then get really excited that you’re getting the intense Italian flavorings on a tasty protein canvas.
6. Sushi is always a win, just order without rice. Some places (Sushi Zushi, Kenichi) will even make you some cool rolls (or at least hand rolls) without rice, using thinly-sliced cucumber to fill the wrapper. JUST ASK.
7. My go-to eating out option? Ahi tuna. It’s widely available as an appetizer, salad, or entree, even at sports bars.
Now for the Don’t list
1. No Bread or Chips beforehand
2. Nothing Fried
3. Butter is dairy, don’t use it
4. Really no reason to even look at the desert menu. If you must order something. get fresh fruit.
If you’re wondering what paleo is, check this video below.